January 22, 2011

A sense of accomplishment

I woke up about midday today, and for the next twelve hours, did approximately nothing. Now, school's coming up real fast- in a week I'd have started year 12 officially. That's a scary thought- considering I've done absolutely nothing to prepare for it so far.

So, to give myself a nice sense of progress, I figured I'd set myself some reasonably realistic goals before I went to sleep. I'm a night owl anyway, so at the time of posting, I'll be awake for about 4 more hours; six when I made the decision.
The first, which I just finished doing, was immensely satisfying. (no not that but thanks for reminding me). I am, of course, heavily into pop science and mathematics- and the Mandelbrot set is probably as popular-mathematical as you can get. I love the Mandelbrot set, my Kindle has a screensaver with its picture and set definition, and my window has a copy of the equation proudly scrawled over its top. The problem was, I never actually understood formal mathematical set notation. I mean, I understand basic set theory and logical arithmetic just from a fair amount of time spent programming, but the mandelbrot set is just jibberish to me. Look at it!
So hey, that was goal number one.
As far as I can tell, I think I've done it: I can *probably* recite it in english, but I'm not entirely sure. I don't care anymore- the caffeine is beginning to wear off and I need to get goal #2 done. Ah well, this is probably the sort of thing I'll be learning this year anyway. I hope so at least, set theory is incredibly interesting to me, and I am entirely surprised that we've not learned it in the decade or so of mathematics classes I've sat through.
The second, of which I am currently heavily procrastinating, is the clean-up of my room. That's not something I'd normally do- I definitely prefer it messy, to the horror of my parents, but I can't rearrange my room to fit in my new whiteboard without being able to see the floor. My well-drawn to-scale room plans have been sitting under my desk for months now, as a constant reminder of the amount of procrastination I ritualistically indulge in. My entire room is designed for that, really- my computer sits in front of a giant chalkboard on which all the things that I want to get done just recreationally sit, waiting to be started or finished, to the point that I can't really fit anything else on there. They just stare at me, every hour of the day.

So, in an effort to make every day mean something important has been improved or accomplished in my life, I will consume all the coffee it takes to get my whiteboard comfortably assembled- all the while using as many malamanteaus, neologisms, malapropisms, and portmanteaus as necessary to get me to the required 400% output increase as stated in an earlier status update- hopefully by the end of the 2011 fiscal year. I am well cafficated for the task. That means caffeinated to the point of extreme dedication, if you didn't catch it. Yeah, it's a cromulent word now.

No comments:

Post a Comment